For crossdressers and trans girls alike, the need for a good wig is very important. Unless you are growing your own hair, your wig will be one of the centerpieces for you as you are looking to pass as a female or in creating your desired overall look. One issue that we are facing during these times though, is the ability to walk into a store anywhere we’d like and try on various wigs to find what we like best. So where in normal times we could get tips and help from a person face to face, that may not be the case right now. As an expert in wigs for crossdressers and trans girls, let us help you with the best way to go about selecting your wig.
When choosing a wig online or over the phone, there are some important factors. Those key factors are wig length, texture, color, shine, and hair style. It’s also important to know about the impotence of wig care. Let’s dig deeper.
Affordable vs luxury wigs for crossdressers
Before any decision on a specific style, color, etc is made, you should figure out your price point as it is a wide range. From affordable wigs that cost around $30-$40 to human hair wigs that can cost a couple thousand there is a price point for everyone. For example, someone new to crossdressing may want to start off with an affordable wig to get the ins and outs of wig wearing and wig maintenance figured out. As you get more comfortable with your wig wearing, you can begin the process of upgrading to higher quality and more expensive wigs.
When it comes to some key factors, this choice can be important the more you use wigs on a day to day basis.
- Easy vs higher maintenance care – This is one spot that beginners should take note of. If you are a beginner, it is best for you to have as little wig maintenance as possible. If you are not comfortable yet, don’t get a wig that requires styling and heavy maintenance or you may become overwhelmed. For those pros out there looking to go further with their wigs, a luxury wig that will require maintenance may be more your speed. For example, a drag queen would want a wig that will require more maintenance but it will pay for them as their hair needs to be very on point.
- Cost vs Quality – Like the above, if you are on a budget or new to wigs, you will wind up sacrificing some quality for cost. But if you are unsure about wig wearing, it is better to be safe with your money than sorry. There are plenty of very nice inexpensive wigs, so don’t worry that you won’t get something you will be happy with.
- Holding their style vs versatility to style and color – Most wigs have a specific style or cut to it so you can take it out of the box and put it right on without much fuss. After the first use or so, you may want to change up the style. With less expensive wigs, you basically get what you get when it comes to the style. With human hair wigs, you have the versatility to style your wig in a variety of styles. That’s a big plus for girls that are using their wig daily.
Choosing the right wig for you
There are many important considerations when it comes to finding the perfect wig (after you’ve decided on a price point). This could include factors such as:
- Color – What tones normally suit you and which are likely to drown you out. You should consider the importance of color to the overall aesthetic and pairing with your outfit
- Length – Hair length can dramatically change your look. Whether a wig will suit you or not is also a personal thing and will depend on your overall look, features and the shape of your face. Here is a previous blog to help you along with these considerations – https://www.glamourboutique.com/male-to-female-transformation-tips/best-wig-for-cds-how-to-choose-a-wig-for-your-face-shape-102930
- Cap sizing – This is obviously important for fit and comfort. Stretch cap wigs are good for genetic males as our heads are bigger. We suggest getting a cloth tape measure to measure your head to get the size that fits you correctly. Here is a list of the sizes for your convenience:
- Small/Average – under 21.25”
- Average – 21.25 – 22.5”
- Large – 22 – 22.5″
- XLarge – 23” and above
For more on this, check out our guide on purchasing your wig – https://www.glamourboutique.com/crossdresser-beauty-tips/must-know-information-you-need-when-buying-a-wig-10074
Caring for your wig
Once you have your new wig, caring for it to get the longest possible life out of it is super important. Each wig you purchase can have different care instructions, depending on the type of wig you purchase. Here are some of the most common tips and tricks for caring for your wig:
- Washing and conditioning – A gentle brushing followed by a shampooing in a sink or water basin. Continue with a conditioner. Be sure to use wig specific shampoos and conditioners as ones used for regular hair can damage your wig. You should wash your wig after every 6-8 uses. Washing more than that can stress the fibers and washing it less can cause the oils and sweat to build up in the cap. Both will decrease the life of your wig.
- Brushing – Never brush your wig when it’s wet. It will permanently damage your wig. Only use brushes meant for wigs. Your regular hair brush will stress and stretch the fibers in the wig.
- Storage – The best way to store your wig is a wig head. A styrofoam wig head is inexpensive and 100% worth the investment for wig storage. If you need to keep your wig behind closed doors, try and store it back in its box, but be sure to put it away carefully.
Caring for your human hair wig will take different kinds of care. For more on that, we recently wrote a piece on this very subject.
Check out our blog for more info on wigs and all your crossdressing questions. For Glamour Boutiques wide range of wigs from cost to styles and all the colors you could imagine, head over to our wig store. If you need help with any wig sizing or color matching, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling us at 973-226-5588.