What You Get for Your Money
Glamour Boutique has always had a great range of wigs that can fit anyone’s budget. We offer hair pieces that are available from as low as $25.95 and require minimal care. On the other hand, we have more expensive quality wigs for people that value longevity, comfort, and design.
The first thing you should notice about a Budget wig is the color. Cheaper wigs tend to have very flat colors, which are certainly acceptable, but they do tend to fade quite a bit after multiple uses. They don’t last too long, but are great for dressing up for a simple party or costume. These wigs are not made for every day use.
Spending a little more money on a mid-range hairpiece, you can notice that the color blends are certainly more attractive and life-like. These wigs tend to retain their color longer with minimal maintenance.The middle-range and more expensive brands also tend to have the more fashionable styles, as well, as the classic cuts that many budget manufacturers will stick to. Approximately 95% of all genetic females have a head circumference of between 21.25 and 22.5 inches (Average) and so almost 100% of wigs made by the budget manufacturers will meet this size requirement. The better brands tend to make the majority in this range, but will also offer styles for smaller heads and of course what we are interested in; larger heads.
What considerations should you take into account when choosing a wig for your crossdressing needs especially if you do not fall into the ‘Average’ size bracket?
What Size Wig do you Need?
Make sure you measure your head correctly to determine the correct wig size. Firstly, take a tape measure. Measure the circumference of the head from the front hairline, down the sides over the top of the ears to the nape of the neck. If you do not have a tape measure then use a length of string and measure that length against a ruler to get the correct measurement in inches.
Small/Average = under 21.25″
Average = 21.25 to 22.5″
Large = 22 to 22.5″
XL = 23″ and above
Many of our customers fit into the average range so have a large choice. But if you fall into the large and x-large ranges then you should consider some of our middle-range wigs that are specifically for larger heads. The Estetica brand that we sell are located in the TG Wigs section and are all constructed with a stretch wig cap so will fit comfortably larger heads.
Most hair pieces have a wig cap that that will allow for some adjustment i.e. loosening and tightening in a small range and the stretch is located on the side tabs of the wig. The Estetica wigs in the Pure Stretch Cap selection however are constructed with a wig cap that stretches throughout the whole perimeter of the cap so that even large heads can wear them with comfort.
Estetica also have some of the most attractive hair blends available on the market which is a major plus though the stretch cap is the real selling point for many of our customers.
Don’t more expensive wigs tend to need more maintenance? Actually, no, that is not the case – in fact the opposite is true. The same basic rules apply for budget, middle-range or more expensive hair-pieces:
- HAIRNET – If your hairpiece comes with a hairnet always store with the net on if you cannot hang on a wig head
- BRUSHING – Only use a wig brush and brush from the ends of the hair up towards the crown – i.e. brush out the ends first and then move up and brush a longer length. Always brush before wearing the wig and again before storing away after dressing
- STYLING – Try to purchase wigs in a a style close to what you want so you do not have to use sprays etc to re-style it. The more product you use in the wig the more you will need to wash it.
- WASHING – It is recommended you wash your wig as seldom as possible. Unless you wear the piece every day/all day, use product in the wig often or the wig has picked up odors then wash no more than every 15 to 25 wearings.
- DRYING HAIR – Never use a hairdryer on a synthetic wig – pat dry with a fluffy towel and then allow to air dry. A hair dryer may only be used on Human Hair Wigs.
The next time you are shopping for a hairpiece consider what an extra $40 to $50 may get you; better fit, better quality and a wig that will last longer with the minimum of maintenance.
If you need help with selecting a wig then see our other articles on Wigs in the Learning Center or feel free and contact us by email or call us on 1-888 721 8688 and we’ll be glad to help you.