Mastering High Heels
Walking in high heels is essential to maximizing you feminine persona. Walking in high heels lifts you above the crowd. It makes you look taller, more slender, and gives your outfit instant glamour. It not only effects how you look physically but it also directly affects your confidence. Research has shown that posture formed while walking in high heels increases blood flow to pelvic floor muscles, thereby improving both health and libido !!
But what’s a girl to do if she is just starting out with her first pair of heels and the whole thing seems daunting? Well, our Glamour Boutique in-house beauty expert has come up with the essential Walking in Heels Tips and here they are:
1. Sizeing: Most ladies shoes are of course sized in ladies sizes – for correct fit take your male size and add between 1.5 to 2 sizes e.g. if you are male size 10 then you should fit into a ladies 12. These days there are also companies making specialist ladies shoes FOR men i.e. they are constructed for a wider foot and reinforced to take the heavier weight of a male. Such shoes are also sized in male shoe sizes.
2. Heel Height: Start with a 2 or 3 inch heel until you master moving like a goddess floating across the floor. Heels of 5″ and above cannot be worn for long periods of time (unless lying down!) so be realistic with your expectations. Once you have mastered a 2 or 3 inch heel you can in time graduate to a 4″ and then on to 5″ etc. But be warned there is a big difference with just a 1″ addition to a heel.
3. Fashion or Practicality: Ideally we girls need a good mix of the two. Slightly wider or block heels are more comfortable particularly when beginning rather than a slender stiletto. Not only will this be easier to walk in but a stiletto can easily get caught in cracks etc. Similarly, rounded or open-toed shoes are more comfortable than a closed pointed toe look. Also look for shoes with a slight 1/2 inch platform like the Juliet open-toe sandal. These tend to have more padding and as a result are much more comfortable to walk in – even the 4″ version. Another consideration should be shoes with ankle straps or without. We recommend the use of ankle straps on plain pumps as these help top keep the shoe in place, particularly for the novice dresser.
4. Budget Considerations: There are many outlets where you can pick up ladies shoes for less than $30 a pair but as with most shopping ‘you get what you pay for’. As a rule leather shoes are better quality than man-made as they will stretch to your own foot shape and they tend to wear much longer. However, if you dress infrequently and mainly just indoors then why pay more than $30 for an occasional wearing? If you are unfortunate to have both large and wide feet you may have to choose one of the specialist ladies shoes made for men to get a good fit and these cost $70 and up.
5. Baby Steps: We recommend the use of stockings or pantyhose when wearing shoes – besides if you are going to wear heels it’s a sensual experience and should be done correctly! While wearing high heel shoes, you should take shorter steps than usual, and as you bring each foot down have the heel touch the floor just slightly ahead of the ball of the foot. Keep your legs close together and walk slightly on your tiptoes. To appear graceful while walking in heels, you will want to keep your feet pointed as straight ahead as possible, and each step should be placed in front of you like you are continually stepping on a single line painted on the floor ahead of you. This helps create the sexy hip sway that catwalk models are known for. This does take some practice. Warning – if climbing or descending stairs we recommend you hold the handrail at all times and walk on a slight angle too.
6. Do’s and Don’ts: Never drive your car in heels; always bring a pair of ‘sensible’ shoes to slip in and out of. Practice dancing at home before going out on the town and strappy shoes are recommended to keep the shoe in place. Always break new shoes in around the house first and be sure to scuff the soles to minimize slips. Do not wear the same pair of high heels everyday – give them and your feet the chance to recover. Leather shoes also need to dry out between wearing.
So follow our essential tips and you won’t go wrong. Have fun but make sure you:
- Size correctly – if possible try before you buy or shop online with a reputable company that have customer service agents to help and they have a good return/exchange policy.
- Are practical with your heel choice – spending a night dancing in 5″ heels is not going to happen! Remember the best shoes are fashionable yet still practical.
- Spend your budget wisely – if you are an occasional dresser then why pay more than $30 for a pair of recreational shoes?
- Practice your femme walk at home and remember….baby steps and one foot in front of the other.
If Heels still seem a bit of a mystery then give us a call at (888) 721-8688. Or visit our crossdressing shoes at GlamourBoutique.com where we’ll be glad to impart our years of experience to help you. Even better, the next time you visit the Tri-State area come visit our showroom and we’ll give you a free lesson!