Its’ important to bear in mind style, material, price range,etc., when choosing your panties. Although you can get lost in the different terminologies; for example, briefs, thongs, panties, boy shorts, high-rise, low-rise, moderate rise, and then, there are variants in materials e.g. cotton, silk, or man-made fibers. As long as you know what will fit and flatter your shape you will be fine. Decide ahead of time do you want something more traditional/retro and sexy or something a little more younger-looking and fashionable.
Many dressers need a full coverage panty and then there are the choices regarding whether one needs an element of support to help achieve a flat front or not. Here at Glamour Boutique we advise you to focus on what will make you feel good first and foremost. If the panties you buy need help with another undergarment to give you a little more lift then that can easily be added with, for example a thong gaff or even some snug-fitting control-top pantyhose.
Size yourself by the waist measurement but be aware that the hips on ladies panties will be a little fuller than what the male equivalent is. The smaller and slimmer you are then the more ‘micro’ styles you will be able to get into in relative comfort but for the average crossdresser a fuller brief will usually be the answer when it comes to a comfortable fit. But don’t get your ‘knickers in a twist’ – a fuller brief can still look and feel sexy.
Many of our customers love the traditional retro briefs available in man-made fibers that hark back to the post-war 50’s era when slim waists, sexy briefs, suspenders and tradition nylon stockings were all the rage. These traditional garments are extremely comfortable and still available – indeed some undergarment manufacturers are even making more modern equivalents. When shopping know what the styles/models mean and be aware of the material they are made in so you get exactly what you are looking for.
Thong-Gaff: Whether you intend to tuck or not the thong gaff is simply a re-enforced thong that has minimal coverage (except at the front where it is wider and fuller than a ladies thong). The re-enforcement is at the front and should be at least 2 layers thick to enable you to achieve a nice flat front. A gaff can be worn on its own or under other more traditional undergarments.
Thong/G-string: A traditional thong gives minimal coverage and tends to be made of thinner material – often lace. If you intend to use it like a gaff be sure the material is up to it and that you move at least one size down. In order to achieve a flat front any undergarment must be tight.
Bikini-Panties: These give modest coverage in the front and a fuller coverage at the back to ensure a good comfortable and supporting fit. A classic since the 70’s the bikini is a low-cut brief and crossdressers should take care when selecting to ensure you get a sufficient amount of coverage at the front.
Boyshorts: Sometimes referred to as ‘hipsters’, boy-shorts are a more stylish and clinging modern cut and do not sit as high as a boxer short in the waist. Hipster-type shorts with a leg opening at the top of the thigh and if not too low cut in the waist then can be extremely comfortable with their fuller coverage in the front.
Brief: A higher-rise panty with full coverage in the rear. There are a number of variations on the brief including:
- Traditional/Retro – full coverage panties both in the front and back that are very comfortable for crossdressers with a waist that sits at waist height or even higher.
- Contemporary Briefs – mimic the retro style with fuller coverage but usually have a more modern lower waistline.
- High (leg) Cut Briefs – Same style as the Traditional brief apart from the front appearing as a V with the legs cut above the hip on the side (i.e. high cut). More modern look than the traditional but crossdressers need to be sure there is sufficient coverage at the front of the panty. Waistband sits at or above the natural waist.
- French Knickers – a more relaxed style panty with a slightly higher and flared cut leg opening than a traditional brief. A European style made to fit under free-flowing dresses and A-line skirts so that no panty lines are visible.
- Pettipants – a variant on the traditional brief with a number of rows of ruffles in evidence. Reminiscent of Can-Can dancers pettipants are very popular to-day with sissy maids as they match and co-ordinate with a traditional petticoat.
Whilst everyday underwear comfort may be led by cotton panties most of our customers prefer the support and the sexy feel of satin and other man-made materials that are a modern-day copy of the traditional silk panties. Pair a set of retro satin briefs with stockings or stay-ups and for many the feel of the layers brushing together is an exquisite and even erotic experience.
So, know what you are shopping for when looking at briefs and other ‘smalls’ for your underwear draw, don’t be afraid to experiment with the different styles until you find what works for you but be sure that they are comfortable, give enough coverage and make you feel sexy too!