Here at Glamour Boutique hosiery is very popular. So, we thought we would make an article dedicated to explaining some basic knowledge about hosiery that everyone should know before buying. Many people have trouble shopping for hosiery because they do not know which style or thickness to buy, that will satisfy their needs.
When shopping for hosiery it’s easy to become overwhelmed with the many different styles and options. So, before filling your shopping basket their are a few terms you will need to know that will help determine what style you would like.
- Opaque – This means that the hosiery was made with a thicker material, making them more durable and stretchable. These are generally a CD and TG girls best friend since they are great for concealing hair and blemishes on the legs.
- Ultra sheer- made of the thinnest fibers (10/15/20 DEN) and generally used for special occasions. Will show up any blemish if worn on their own and need to be handled very carefully as they are known to rip.
- Shimmer – recommended for evening wear as they are extremely flattering to the leg shape when they catch the light. True to the name, they shimmer in the light.
- Day Sheer – Still sheer but more durable than ultra sheer – these will generally have a longer life and do not need handling as carefully
- Control Top — This term you can see on many styles of hosiery. This will help slim the thighs and waist. Other term you might see that will slim the thighs and waist are Support Tights, Therapeutic Support Pantyhose, and Weight Lose Hosiery.
- Crotch-less Pantyhose or Tights–
The term DEN, also known as denier, refers to the fiber thickness or density. Sheer hosiery tends to be 5 to 15 Den with Translucent and Opaque generally being up to 30 Den. Also, as a rule of thumb, the more sheer the hosiery means the more easily they tend to be damaged i.e. they are less hard-wearing.
How to extend the life of your hosiery:
1. Always buy the right size – don’t be tempted to choose a smaller, tighter size
2. Take off jewelry before putting on hosiery
3. Trim finger and toe nails beforehand
4. Read the manufacturers guidelines before washing
Hosiery is a simple and relatively cheap method of feminization and many folk love the sensual feel of stockings. Pantyhose and stay-ups or stockings should always enhance how you look and feel so follow the simple tips above and you’ll make the most of your purchase and how you feel about your legs. But to finish here are a few no-no’s when it comes to wearing hosiery: a) Don’t wear sheer with hairy legs it spoils the illusion – better to go with an opaque, b) Don’t wear hosiery with noticeable runs or ladders in them c) Do not wear with visible panty lines as again it spoils the illusion of smooth and curvaceous feminine lines, and d) Never wear Thigh-hi’s too tight around the thigh as they look very unsightly.
Choose the right hosiery and you will enhance the look of your legs and your total image. The right combination of color and density of the fabric will make a girl feel very sexy, indeed many find it a real confidence booster particularly when paired with a stylish set of heels or boots. If you’ve never tried, what are you waiting for – grab a pair and slip them on – it’ll make your day, or night!
If you need help picking out your hosiery because you do not know the difference between stockings, pantyhose, and stay-up’s refer to our Lady Legs Start With the Right Hosiery article.