BIGGER GIRL FASHION ADVICE
If you are a Size 8 then the likelihood is, that you probably find it much easier to shop for clothes than us larger gals. Smaller girls have more choices when it comes to clothing styles.With new fashion trends every season, people of this size have so many different options.
On the other hand, bigger girls are limited. Since many clothing lines are not made in plus sizes, we don’t have as many trendy choices to choose from. However, as you grow with your wardrobe it’s essential to cultivate your own sense of style. That does not mean having to be a slave to the latest fashion. Far more important is understanding your own body-shape and what garments work to emphasize your best bits and neutralize the bits you wish to be less obvious.
Many girls use shape-enhancing products, like: breast forms, corsets, girdles, padded panties, etc. These products help create a more classic feminine hourglass figure. However, They make fitting into clothes even harder with the added curves, like broad shoulders. There are ways to offset the sight of this by using breast forms. It’s important to study your basic body shape in a full-length mirror. Are you a curvaceous hourglass figure, a slim shouldered pear shape or a non-definable waist apple shape for example? Defining your shape will help you begin addressing apropriate size and fits that will flatter your frame.
The correct cut and style of garments together with color co-ordination will enhance your feminine figure and look flatter no matter how big and beautiful you are. Take care with the right choices to define a feminine waist and achieve an attractive silhouette so that you show off your best features and help disguise the rest.
TOP FASHION TIPS FOR BIG GIRLS
Follow these simple guidelines and you will quickly develop a sense of style to enhance your whole feminine appearance.
- SHAPE OF CLOTHING. If you are a big voluptuous girl try to stay away from oversize, ill-shaped garments in an attempt to hide your size. Much better to wear more form fitting clothing and use tricks like a wide waist-cinching belt to help give shape and visual focus to where you want it to be. Empire waist dresses that cheat the waistline up and flare out from the waistline can help hide that tummy and at the same time give an illusion of having lovely feminine hips. If you like to wear jeans or trousers be sure to dress with straighter-leg or a flared leg rather than a tapered leg. Having a narrow ankle in a trouser will emphasize the size of your thighs and upper body which is not going to be the most attractive silhouette.
- DRESS IN DARKER TONES. From top to bottom it is advisable to dress in darker tones if you are a bigger girl and then add color with your accessories like scarves, belts, jewelry, bags etc. Dark colors absorb light and that gives the illusion of being slimmer.
- COLOR THE SMALLER BITS. Add contrasting color with accessories, make-up (especially lip color), shoes, nails and hair color. This again puts focus elsewhere other than on your larger curves. Accessories are very important for visual focus and a good belt will not only emphasize the waist area but should also help it appear smaller.
- TREAT YOURSELF TO SEXY LINGERIE. These days it is easy for bigger girls to find baby dolls and gowns that flatter with the clever use of layers of fabric or flattering fit such as higher waist lines. This is an area where you will be instantly feminized and will feel much less constrained by size.
- PATTERNS. If you like garments with pattern/detail then try to minimize the area there is pattern so that focus is drawn to one area only. A pattern all over a garment emphasizes size and beware that horizontal stripes on tops, skirts and dresses will simply highlight a persons girth/width. A lace hem though will give focus to one area and is certainly in keeping with an overall look.
- SIMPLE STOCKINGS AND PANTYHOSE. Stick to hosiery that is plain sheer or opaque. If you want to be adventurous add in seams, Cuban heels or a bit of color etc but stay away from patterns which only emphasize size of your legs.
- AVOID V.P.L. (VISIBLE PANTY LINE). If you have put on a few extra pounds but have a favorite pair of pants, dress or skirt you want to squeeze into try to stay clear of VPL that only helps emphasize bulk/size. Either use a longer line panty-girdle instead of your regular underwear or if dressing on a budget cut the legs off (just below the darker area on each leg) a pair off snug-fitting control top pantyhose. Wear this garment instead of panties and you will do away with your Visible Panty Line.
- SMILE AND BE CONFIDENT. A smile goes a long way to drawing focus up to the face level and when you force people in a room to focus on the face the focus stops being side to side. Always be confident, smile and look people in the eye. Eye contact, smiling and listening are a guaranteed formula to have others engage with you face to face. Furthermore their first impression will be one of an open, friendly and attractive, fashionable gal
- DRESS UP YOUR MOST ATTRACTIVE FEATURE. If you have great legs, for example then make sure you present them well so that people notice that great feature. Be sure to wear heels that flatter the shape and spend a little extra on some stylish hosiery that shows them off to their very best. Ensure you have practiced your walk and you’ll feel a million dollars when you walk into a room smiling and full of confidence.
The average size for genetic girls these days is dress size 14 and we find our average is size 16 dress size so larger sizes are becoming more the norm. As this progression continues the trend of available, fashionable garments and accessories will continue to open up for larger girls.
Dressing can be such an adventure for many due to the variations in cut, color, material etc to choose from as compared to male clothes. We are all different shapes and sizes and these days with a few tricks and tips it is quite possible to be fashionable and attractive no matter your height or weight. Look around at what’s available and what will suit you and love yourself for who you are. Dress the part and be confident in how you look no matter your size and you’ll be amazed at the feedback you receive.
If in doubt, follow these simple tips and talk to those in the know to get advice. Look around you too all the time to see how larger girls dress – be critical and make a mental note of what works and what doesn’t. Most of all, have fun!