Trying to remain cool and looking your best in the summer is a challenge. Here are some summer tips to help you out!
Staying cool and comfortable:
- Make sure you consider your clothing fabrics. Pick thin and smooth fabrics so, your body doesn’t get too hot or itchy from your clothes.
- Always stay away from wearing layers in the sun unless it is a light, airy cardigan or kimono.
- Stay away from wearing tight fitting clothing. This can cause you discomfort when you perspire. Wearing loose, airy clothing like dresses, skirts, or clothing with back or side cutouts are great for keeping your body aired out throughout the day.
- Wear light colors- this will keep you a tad cooler.
Makeup application in the summer is tricky business because no one wants to wear a bunch of face makeup in the heat. That can leave your face feeling uncomfortable, dirty, and can also lead to serious break outs! However, makeup is crucial to wear as a crossdresser so, what can one do?
- Purchase a great antiperspirant foundation. This will help keep your face dry so makeup doesn’t move around, help prevent pimples, and ensure that your stubble is securely hidden.
- Keep your face makeup natural and simple. Try not to use too much face makeup. Keep your pores as open as possible to help your skin breath and feel more comfortable. Also, if you pick neutral color tones it will make smearing and running less obvious.
- Eyelash Extensions. Not the glue-on yourself store bought eyelashes- but beauty salon eyelash extensions. This is a very natural feminine look that can help you wear less eye make while still looking gorgeous. Most people get these so, they don’t have to wear mascara at all (because of how full and fluffy they look).
Wigs are also a crucial piece of the crossdressing puzzle of looking like a woman. However, how could you possibly feel cool whilst the sun shines on and your head is wearing a fluffy tiny blanket?
Some things you should certainly consider would be, short and light colored wigs. Lighter colored wigs will retain less heat from the sun, making your head cooler than the average brunettes. Also, shorter hair styles would be a great decision for keeping cool. Or perfecting cute updo’s are always a cute feminine option.
Follow our Top Summer Wig Tips and stay cool this summer whether dressing indoors or outdoors:
- Synthetic or Human Hair. Human hair wigs are certainly more natural than synthetic but they are also thicker and heavier and as a result, will be hotter than synthetic hair pieces during the summer months. They also require more maintenance so, you may want to invest in a high quality capeless synthetic wig for the hotter months to keep cool. Synthetics are also easier to style in the warmer months and will maintain their shape for longer
- Long or Short Styles. This is an easy one – shorter styles are going to keep you cooler. Long styles that keep the neck and middle back enclose will heat up and lead to perspiration. If you can carry off a shorter style then try one that just touches on or above the nape of the neck so that there is air circulation on or around this area
- Wash Regularly. Whether synthetic or Human hair you are going to have to wash more frequently during summer months but that does not mean over washing. Wig fibers do not produce natural oils like a full head of hair but they will be affected by perspiration etc especially if you do not tend to wear a wig cap underneath the wig. Wash once a month or twice if you smoke during summer months and make sure you use the correct shampoo and conditioner if washing a synthetic piece
- No Direct Heat. If wearing synthetic hair pieces, do not locate them where they are in direct or even direct sunlight where heat can damage them. This not only includes when wearing them but also storage. For example, do not store in the trunk of a car if the car will be in direct sunlight as this will almost certainly damage the fibers. Stay out of direct sunlight. Also do not cook in your hair piece as this too will damage the hair fibers. Simply opening an oven door or even standing over a B.B.Q. can lead to irreparable damage
- Protective Head Wear. Just because it’s summer it doesn’t mean you can’t go out when the sun shines but do take precautions. A large brimmed summer hat or a headscarf a la Hepburn will not only protect your favorite hair piece but it will look very sophisticated
- Stretch Cap Wigs. For a more comfortable and cooler wearing experience in the summer months consider a stretch cap wig. These are extremely comfortable wigs with thin vented weft construction for increased air circulation. Excellent quality and appearance at a fraction of the weight and cost of a human hair wig and will keep you much cooler too!
- To Braid or not to Braid. If you have a favorite long wig or indeed only have one then try a simple restyle to make it work for you this summer. For long wigs simply try a side braid so the length does not cover the nape of the neck and so gives increased air circulation. For the more adventurous you can even attempt an up-do or have a stylist do this for you
- Change of Color. It may not cool you down but it may well make you feel a lot cooler. If there’s a season to try a color outside of your comfort zone then it’s summer. Once you have a little sun on your face don’t be scared to try a different color to emphasize your summer look and highlight how healthy and happy you feel
For the summer months try to think synthetic and shorter and you’ll stay a lot cooler. If you are cooler up top then it will help your makeup stay in place which means you can be dressed with confidence and look the very best. If you are due a new hair piece then definitely consider a synthetic wig with a stretch cap for comfort and increased air circulation. Make sure to maintain your hair piece with frequent brushing using a wig brush and washing with the correct shampoo and conditioner as and when needed so that your piece always looks its very best. A little preventative maintenance goes a long way.