This is a question that is frequently asked here at Glamour Boutique by customers coming in for makeovers. Although, some make-up artists vary one or two steps according to their own techniques but, the steps of applying makeup are pretty standard. The steps DO matter, more importantly, when applying face makeup. Products like Makeup Primers, Foundations, and Moisturizers need to be applied in an effective manner. These products are useless if they are not applied the correct way.
Now where to begin:
Very important before any Make-up application is to prepare the skin – if necessary this will obviously include hair removal/shaving and then moisturizing. Applying an oil-free moisturizer not only gives the skin a smoother finish after cleansing, but it actually stops the skin from creating excess oil. So, in addition to conditioning and hydrating the skin a good moisturizer will help maintain the eventual makeup application.
- Makeup Primer – The use of a good Primer definitely keeps the finished makeup application in place for much longer. Primer should be applied between the moisturizer and foundation stages of your makeover. Primers come in a gel form and are best applied using just the fingers. Apply primer to the whole face, and under the chin. Be sure to allow time for the primer to ‘rest’ for a few minutes prior more makeup application.
- Eye shadow should be next to give your primer some time to dry and so you don’t get eye shadow on your fresh contoured face.
- Beard Cover/Concealer – A beard cover is the next important stage. Work against the grain of the beard to ensure a good even coverage. If a concealer is just needed on certain areas of discoloration then simply apply in dots and blend in with the tip of the finger.
- Foundation Application – Now apply foundation to even out your skin tone. Here at Glamour Boutique we prefer the Professional Cream Makeup foundation by Celebre that comes with free applicators. You should now have eliminated any skin tone variations and should be left with a nice smooth and even complexion for the rest of the makeup stages to be applied.
- Loose Antiperspirant Powder – Very Important step here is to immediately apply loose powder over all the foundation to ensure it stays in place. We recommend a translucent antiperspirant loose powder so that it also minimizes the effects of perspiration. Use a lot of powder – a good powder really will help to keep everything in place and will give a non-shiny, matte appearance.
- Contouring – Now is the time to add blushes to your face. Get a lighter colored powder and apply under your eyelids, to the middle of chin and middle of the forehead. Underneath the apples of your cheeks apply your bronzer. Shade this bronzer around the outer parts of your face, by your temples and upper forehead and blend. Find the apples on your cheeks by smiling and apply a nice colored blush directly on the apples of your cheeks.
- Fill in lips and apply mascara- Lipstick, lip liner, mascara, eyeliner etc are the very last steps in your application.
Follow the sequence above and you will make your makeup application an easier and more enjoyable experience. Remember to have lots of makeup remover, like Albolene available in case you make any mistakes. Enjoy!