How to style a wig – what to consider when purchasing
When purchasing a wig, we have to consider many things. From hair color to shape to hair style. Many synthetic or less expensive wigs are not wigs that are able to be styled at will. Oftentimes they cannot be heated with a curling iron or styled like you would style your own hair. Luckily human hair wigs can afford you a variety of options. Although they are expensive, there is no substitute as human hair wigs are great for trying out lots of different hairstyles as you can put heat on them and wash them easily. If you are looking to have different hairstyles for wigs, human hair wigs are the way to go. Let’s take a look at human hair wigs as well as some wig styling tips along with some of the best wig hairstyles.
What’s the difference between human hair wigs and synthetic wigs?
Why invest in a human hair wig?
Most wigs that are purchased are synthetic wigs. The main reasons these are so popular are because of their affordability. Even a higher end synthetic wig may only run you a few hundred dollars. Synthetic wigs are usually made of plastic or acrylic fibers that mimic hair. The fibers are heated to a certain temperature and then strung into hairs that resemble human hair fibers. Unless the synthetic wig is made with heat resistant fibers, it cannot be heated to style. Human hair wigs are made out of real human hair so they look and feel real, but they also have to be re-styled after washing just like real hair. Human hair wigs, unlike many synthetic hair wigs do not tangle and knot with minimum of care. This means they can be re-styled, treated with a heating iron and washed over and over without adverse effect. Investing in a human hair wig will afford you so much more versatility and in the long run instead of buying synthetic wigs over and over again you can have just one human hair wig and have it meet all your styling needs.
How to style human hair wigs – curling your wig using hair tools
Who doesn’t love curls? With a human hair wig, you can get a variety of styling tools and create some amazing curls that you wouldn’t be able to accomplish with synthetic wigs. If you want to know how to style a wig to look natural that’s also easily achievable. Here are some of the best tools to use to get some great curls.
- Curling tongs: clasp the hair and run down the end, then roll the hair back up around the curling tongs, hold for a few seconds then unravel the hair. You get the best effect when using with a long human hair wig style. Curling tongs when used effectively will create lovely bouncy curls with an obvious coil to them. For a more natural look, once they’ve cooled, run your fingers through the hair and you’ll be left with a soft, natural-looking curl.
- Straightening irons: clasp a piece of hair at the top and then turn the straighteners over and pull down all the way to the bottom. Try turning the straighteners both ways to see which type of curl you prefer. Try to always curl away from the face if you can. This wig styling tip will help create a more beachy-wave look and can be effective on shorter or longer wigs.
- Hairdryer: Using a round brush and hairdryer with a targeted or concentrated nozzle at the end and brush through the hair, rolling it back up using the round brush, Apply the heat to dry the wet hair to achieve a bouncy blow dry. This wig styling tip is easier to do whilst not wearing the wig itself.
How to tie the perfect ponytail every time
A ponytail is a very common style that is an easy fix for a quick run out or a casual brunch with the girls. A human hair wig is a great opportunity to use this style. Here are a few tips to get you started.
- Make sure your wig is well brushed through and nice and smooth.
- Take your hair into both hands and work into a low ponytail. If you want to secure your ponytail here, use a paddle brush to work out any lumps before tying.
- For a high pony, use both hands to work the hair higher up your back of your head – for a super-high pony, you might find it easier to tip your head upside down.
- Smooth out with a paddle brush and secure with a good quality hair tie.
There are tons of videos on YouTube that can show you the steps visually. Try a few different videos and different variations of the process until you find the one that works best for you.
How to achieve a messy bun wig style
The messy bun hairstyle is a great style for an ultra laid back look or you can make it work with a business outfit and a pair of glasses. Sexy! You can use the same steps as for the ponytail, but before you use the hair tie, follow these steps:
- Once you have your hair in the position you’d like, spread the hair over your hand so it’s completely covered.
- Use your free hand to grab the hair you’ve spread around, and then use a hair tie around the ball of hair.
- Pull at the small bun a little to make it a little larger.
- Take the rest of the hair that’s hanging out and twist it around the base of the bun you’ve created. Secure with bobby pins.
- You can then play around with the shape to get the desired messy bun look.
If you think a human hair wig may be the right choice for you, Glamour Boutique has a great selection to choose from. We also stock all the wig care products you need to look after your wigs well. Our human hair wigs are the very best Remy hair quality. Many regular human hair wigs are made up of hair from brushes and the floor waste in hairdressing shops and are really no better than synthetic wig quality. Not the Remy wigs. Check out our selection and if you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com or call us at 973-226-5588.
Let us know if you have a human hair wig and the styles you have used with it. Send us photos and your stories to firstname.lastname@example.org