One of the common questions we get asked about corsets is: ‘can you easily hide them under clothing?’. This practice of concealing the fact you are wearing a corset is also known as ‘stealthing’ and is one widely used by crossdressers. Wearing a corset for many crossdressers is one of the means to achieving an instant female hourglass shape.
By hiding the fact we are using a steel boned corset to achieve such a figure gives the appearance of having an authentic femme shape. Being able to pass for a natural female is something many crossdressers strive to achieve. So, what are the best corsets for ‘stealthing’ and what other factors can help us to camouflage the fact we are wearing a bodyshaper?
The following tips will help you when stealthing with corsets:
1. Model and Length of Corset. As a general rule of thumb shorter cincher corsets and underbust corsets are easier to hide under clothing. Full-body corsets with cups are the hardest to hide under dresses and tops, particularly if wearing any form-fitting clothing. Many crossdressers will opt for a shorter steel boned cincher corset of 10″ length or less. Such corsets concentrate on the immediate waist area and because well designed dresses will usually have a defined female waist will complement the shape of the garment.
2. Corset Design. Look for corsets with straight across cut/design at the top and bottom of the corset or soft curves. Sharp angles and points near the cleavage area are more easily noticed under clothing. Also, remember to check if the steel bones are internal (show less) or built into the external outer layer of the corset. If built into the external layer of the corset then ridges will likely show through most dresses and give those tell-tale lines.
3. Number of Steel Bones. Bear in mind the greater the number of steel bones, the thicker the corset will be. Double-boned corsets can have as many as 26+ steel bones which can add to the overall girth and the thicker the corset, the more visible it can be. Typically, a 12 or 14 boned cincher corset will be less visible under clothing than a double-boned corset with 22+ bones. However, if your go-to corset is double-boned, just ensure the boning is constructed internally and not on the external corset layer.
4. Outer Corset Material and Color. Satin corsets are the most popular Off the Rack corsets sold and usually consist of a cotton twill inner lining with the outer layer being made of satin. Satin is usually a much thinner material than the other materials typically associated with corsets, namely P.V.C., Leather or Cotton. It’s for this reason that satin corsets are usually the best for corset stealthing. Their thinner bulk is less detected under clothing. For darker clothing have a dark or black corset and if you do wear lighter shades of clothing then a beige or nude/flesh-colored tone is easy to mask. Stay away from the brighter colors like pink, red etc
5. Type of Clothing and Material Worn Over the Corset. As well as the corset itself, you can increase your success rate when stealthing with corsets by selecting carefully what you wear over it. A skin tight tube dress will show through the lines of any corset so wear heavier materials and even textured materials to help mask those tell-tale lines. Dresses and tops with rushing and pleating are great design elements in garments to hide the corset underneath. Also pay attention to color; in general, darker clothes will help hide the signs of a corset and that’s why winter is a great time of the year to ‘stealth’.
6. Use a Belt. The whole point of wearing a corset for crossdressers is to give an overall feminine hourglass shape with a defined waist. This will enhance the look and shape of your feminine dresses and tops. Another tip to mask the corset underneath is to use a belt around the newly defined waist that is worn on top of the dress or top. The belt will accentuate the narrower waist, whilst at the same time drawing focus away from the fact you are wearing a corset underneath.
Corsets are a part of a few key components a crossdresser can use to manufacture an authentic female body-shape. Along with breast forms they should be part of any girl’s closet in creating a realistic silhouette. Whether you will be wearing them under your boy clothes or your girl clothes, remember the points above to help hide the fact you are wearing a corset.
Choose the right model corset, in the thinnest material and correct color and you will be successful ‘stealthing’ with your corset.
Also remember that corsets look amazing when worn over clothing. Wear on top of a blouse paired with girls jeans or leggings for a sexy look. Don’t forget they also look great over figure hugging dresses in contrasting or matching colors.
For help in selecting the right corset for your ‘stealthing’ contact our live customer service team on 973 226 5588 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org